Hearing Loss Overview
Did you know that hearing loss is the third most common health condition in the United States? According to the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD), approximately 15% of American adults aged 18 and over report some trouble hearing.
While hearing loss can happen at any age, it is most common in older adults. In fact, about one-third of adults aged 65 to 74 have hearing loss, and nearly half of those aged 75 and older have difficulty hearing. As the life expectancy of people is increasing in general, the number of Americans with hearing loss is only expected to increase as well.
Types of Hearing Loss
Common Causes of Hearing Loss
Signs and Symptoms of Hearing Loss
If you believe you may be experiencing some form of hearing loss, be sure to look out for these common signs and symptoms:
- Difficulty understanding speech, especially when there is background noise present
- Needing to ask people to repeat themselves often
- Feeling like people are mumbling when they talk
- Turning up the volume on the television or radio more than usual
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
- Withdrawing from conversations or social activities
At Stay In Touch Hearing Aids, we are experienced in treating all types of hearing impairment. If you think you might be experiencing any of these signs or symptoms of hearing loss, don't hesitate to contact us - the sooner you get help, the better!